Friday, November 11, 2011

DIY-Reupholstering Chairs

Right before a had Ella, I got a huge urge to reupholster a chair!  I'm talking, 38 weeks preggers, on the floor on all fours, using a staple gun.  Yeah, I know...the things we do when we're pregnant!  I'm here to tell you that if I can do it at 38 weeks pregnant, anyone can do it.  Andrew and I had just purchased a dining room set from my sister-in-laws friend.  Nothing fancy, just a table and 6 chairs.  The first thing I wanted to do was change the fabric on the chairs to make them my own.
  
This is a before picture of the chair.
I took a trip to Hobby Lobby (you could go to Karen's Fabrics or Michael's, my Hobby Lobby just happens to have a great selection of fabrics) and picked out a fabric that I liked.  You want to make sure it is a thick fabric.  If it's too thin, it could tear. 
3 yards of fabric should be enough, but I got 3 1/2 just to be safe.

You will need: fabric, scissors, tape measure, hammer, flat head and phillips head screwdriver, and a staple gun.

First, you need to flip the chair upside down and unscrew the current seat on the chair.  In my case, someone had reupholstered the chair before me, so I had to remove the fabric they used.  I did this by using the flat head screwdriver to pop the staples out.  Once you have completed this part, put the seat face down (like picture above) on the fabric.  You want to cut it so there is enough fabric to be folded under the seat.  After I did this, I measured it with the tape measure, and cut all the other fabric.  Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the rest of the steps, but I will be sure to do that in future posts.  Next you will pull one side of the fabric under the seat, and staple.  Then do the opposite side, staple, then the other two sides.  You will staple the corners last.  Once it is all stapled tight, you will screw the seat back into the chair.
   


This is my finished product!
Note: This project was done before I started my blog.  Future projects will have better step-by-step pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment